A web presence does not stop at having a great-looking website. As your business changes, so too should the content on your site; this is one reason why website management is essential.
Keeping your content fresh and up to date should be a high priority. Have you ever searched for a business to check their opening times, only to find them closed when you get there? Or worse, they have moved.
As your web presence grows, you will invariably find that your requirements change. You may wish to add additional functionality, such as specific contact forms, order forms, or stock-checking facilities.
Why Does A Website Need Managing?
It is critical to carry out regular checks to ensure that all the behind-the-scenes website components are updated and secure.
Keeping the software that runs your server and website up to date is vital. If your website is hacked, it could go offline, or worse, it could be used for some illegal purpose.
Aside from the security considerations, as a site grows, it needs regular maintenance to ensure that it works as expected. If users cannot find information and view pages quickly, they will likely leave.
A rather crude analogy could be walking down an upmarket shopping arcade at 7am; you will see window cleaners at work outside and cleaning staff hard at work with hoovers and dusters inside. At the same time, staff members deactivate the burglar alarms, check stock and ensure that merchandising is all in order. A website needs the same daily care and attention.
Here are a few key reasons why a small business owner may benefit from using a web agency to manage their WordPress site:
- Expertise – Agencies have experienced developers, designers, and marketers on staff who are experts in WordPress and keeping sites running smoothly. They know how to optimize sites for search engines, fix bugs, and implement new features. This saves business owners from having to learn complex technical and design skills themselves.
- Time savings – Managing a website, especially one powered by a platform as full-featured as WordPress, can be very time consuming. Agencies take this task off the business owner’s plate so they can focus on their core business operations. The agency handles all updates, backups, security checks, etc.
- Support – Issues with websites often come up unexpectedly. An agency provides ongoing support so any problems that arise don’t disrupt the business. They’re available to troubleshoot issues and make urgent fixes if needed.
- Expert guidance – Agencies understand digital marketing and how to leverage a website to its full potential. They can provide strategic guidance on SEO, content strategy, analytics, social media integration and more to help the business achieve its goals.
- Cost efficiency – For a monthly or annual fee, agencies take care of all website needs, which can end up being more cost effective than hiring individual freelancers for each project or issue that comes up.
SEO and Analytics
Search engine optimisation is not something that is done once and forgotten. Regular checks and updates are essential and careful monitoring of your traffic can provide invaluable marketing insights to help you grow your business.
Setting up analytics means seeing where visitors have come from, what pages they looked at and how long they stayed on your site. You are also able to track which content is generating enquiries.
Cost Effective Website Management for Small Businesses
Every website is different, but in general, a maintenance package would include:
- Regular “MOT” check-ups to ensure that your site is secure and up to date.
- SEO/Marketing reviews
- Traffic analysis (Analytics)
- Advice about changes to your site.
For WordPress sites, I offer a fully managed solution for all WordPress, Theme and Plugin updates, security checks and 24/7 uptime monitoring.